We’ll tell you how to bathe a guinea pig. You don’t have to bathe your guinea pig all the time since they like to naturally groom themselves. You can see a little bit of liquid in your cavy’s eye that is secreted for this purpose. Guinea pigs will natural groom themselves repeatedly throughout the day. They do this often after they eat vegetables, or burrowing through their hay. Sometimes though, it is required that you bath your guinea pig. Sometimes it is necessary to bathe your Guinea pig.
One days where it is very hot your Guinea pig might enjoy it. Bathing is also a great way for you get two guinea pigs to bond with each other. We have a few guidelines for you to: prepare an area where your guinea pig can relax and enjoy. You definitely don’t want the animal you are handling to get stressed out while you are bathing him. It’s important to realize that long haired guinea pigs need daily grooming and bathing every few months to keep their coats in good condition. If you don’t do this their coats will be matted.
Things you will need:
– Make sure that you choose a shampoo that is specifically made for small animals. This way you will be sure that your cavy’s skin will not dry out or become inflamed. The best products don’t contain chemicals, and are all natural. There are a wide variety of brands to choose from. Always make sure that you are using products that are safe for your guinea pig. One product just for small pets like guinea pigs is Small Animal Supplies Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo 8 oz
– Having some towels on hand may help you out a lot. Some people like to lather up their cavy while they sit on a towel instead of a tub or sink.
– You can use a tub, plastic tub or the sink to wash your guinea pig.
- Plastic Bottle
– You can keep warm water in a jug to gently pour over your guinea pig. If you have removable faucet you can also rinse him with that.
– Find a soft hair brush. Find a nice brush to use on your cavy while it’s dry. This can help move debris and get rid of loose hairs. Make sure it’s got soft bristles. You should brush your long haired guinea pig daily.
- Hair Dryer
– You don’t need to use a hairdryer but it makes life a lot easier. Using a hair dryer on low heat can be used after you have bathed your guinea pig. Make sure the dryer is at least 40cm away from the skin of your guinea. You can brush while you do this. Always brush the direction of hair growth, any other way can irritate your guinea pig.
Note: It’s a good idea to test the heat of the hair dryer on yourself before you point it on your cavy. This way you can be sure it’s not too hot for your cavy. It helps to use the lowest setting possible.
Non-Slip Mat: These can be handy. You can easily cut the size and place them on the bottom of the tub or sink. They can assist in helping your guinea pig feel more at ease and slip around less.
Giving your piggie a proper bath is just a part of properly taking care of your guinea pig. You should also read how to best take care of your guinea pig.
Please share this article if you’ve liked it and found it useful.